Regardless of where you find mold in your home, the issue goes beyond mold removal if you want long-term results. The cause leading to mold activation and colonization must be found and resolved. That is as true for attic mold remediation as any other mold situation. In the case of attic mold, here are the potential reasons that need to be investigated:
- Attic insulation issues- If your home has damaged, inadequate, or missing attic insulation, it can create an environment where condensation forms, which makes a hospitable environment for mold.
- Roof ventilation issues- It is tempting to seal up an attic to reduce heat transfer, but without adequate ventilation, condensation can form, resulting in mold growth and the need for attic mold remediation.
- Water intrusion due to a roof leak- A roof leak is one of the most common contributors to attic mold. Even a small leak is enough to make it conducive for mold activation.
- Improper installation of exhaust fans- If you have an exhaust fan in your kitchen or bathroom that is vented into the attic instead of outdoors, the result is usually condensation in the attic and the potential for mold. The vent should be re-routed to prevent this problem.
- Air leaks from living spaces- If air-conditioned air is able to leak into the attic from the living space below, it can contribute to a conducive environment for mold to grow. The most common culprits are can lights, fans, and other ceiling-mounted fixtures.
If you are experiencing attic mold at your home or business, reach out to us at ARC Insulation to schedule an inspection. We will ascertain what the issue is and discuss our attic mold remediation process. Since we also offer insulation services, if that turns out to be the problem, we can remedy that situation. Your questions will all be addressed and a quote will be provided. Contact us today to learn more about any of our services.